Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Other Side Of the Mirror

Here we are ..

On our way to the park

My son on the car seat-bouncing and cooing

His father’s proud grin growing wider by the minute

Rhymes on the stereo echoing our proud heartbeats…

I dream of a future for my son..

Butterfly wings ,dancing elephants , bubbles in his bath,fairy tales,animated movies , bonds and savings , a holiday house by the river….

Our car lurched to a halt

What is a red signal light when you dream of your son’s future

I continued to weave my web of wants

A furtive knock interrupted my fantasies

I was annoyed-

A child of uncertain years stared back

I looked at him –A creature of no fantasy this was -Soot ridden legs..

False “bloodied” bandages on his arms

His eyes twitched between the stuffed toy my son held and my “deer frozen in the highlights” expression..

Hunger or Fear Whatever ruled him ----Won

He shifted his gaze to me and raised his hopeful palms for a piece of silver..

The green lights went on

And I turned my face away from him and put on my rose tinted glasses again…

My lips began their litany on the begging mafia , inadequacy of the government ….I went on and on justifying my apathy –

Relief at escaping a decision –Making a choice

My son bawled for my attention and I went back to my comfortable cocoon….

There are moments when the car window seems like the other side of the mirror

( )

A

No comments:

Post a Comment